Sunday, April 20, 2008

"If God spare my life, ere many years I will cause a boy that driveth the plough shall know more of the Scripture than thou doest."

"I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds. But the word of God was not bound. Herefore I endure all things, for the elect's sake, that they might also obtain that salvation which is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory."
2Timothy 2:9&10- Tyndale Translation (1534)

In the translation of 2Timothy 2:9&10, I have found even greater comfort in God's words..."for if God be on our side, what matter maketh it who be against us, be they bishops, cardinals, popes..." Even though men and the government has forced me to flee England and as ordered my arrest, I still believe that God has called me to fight out in His Holy name.
Copies of my translation began to reach the common people of England in March of 1526. In October, the Bishop of London collected as many copies as he could and publicly burned them. He even arranged to buy copies abroad, which he also burned, but the money went to me, to be used in the production of more copies.
The most recent actions of my living out 2Timothy 2:9&10 has been my participation in ongoing theological debates, and the publishing of several short tracts, which has helped bring my work to the attention of Catholic clergy and scholars.

3 comments:

Davidandthejungle said...

I like how you used the scripture post to reveal more about your life, illustrating how scripture and God works in your life. Nice blog
-Hadley

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said...

That's great! Everyone should be able to read the Bible. I will pray earnestly for your work.

Sasha said...

I would like to hear more about your debates and work. I like the way you incorporate the scripture in your life.

-Sasha